-->

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bald Eagles and Freezing Cold Temps

I paid another early morning visit to the river, this time the weather was clear, but definitely below freezing. Overall, this was probably the most productive day I've spent there yet. I was able to photograph several eagles on the edge of the river and got some cool shots of them in flight. I also finally captured a photo I have been trying to get for about a year now of an American dipper. Not a very attractive subject, but one of the coolest birds I know of. They spend their lives on, near, and in rivers all year round. I've photographed them before, but they are dark, fast little birds and none of my photos turned out until now. Below are some of the highlights of the day . . .

Bald eagle about to snag a salmon carcass.

For being so large, bald eagles are still very aerodynamic in the air, as you can tell from this photo.

Bald eagles usually stand on their food with one foot while they pull bites off.

American dippers spend most of their lives foraging in the freezing cold rivers of western North America.

No comments:

Post a Comment